PONTSTICILL RESERVOIR PONTOON FOUNDATIONS
Velta was appointed to pre-fabricate concrete blocks for use as foundations for a new pontoon at Pontsticill Reservoir near Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales.
Originally opened in 1927 to supply water to much of the South Wales Valleys, the reservoir consists of a 110ft-high embankment holding back 15 billion litres of water.
Using our in-house casting facilities at our yard just north of Cardiff, we constructed bespoke formwork, fixed steel reinforcement, and cast the concrete blocks before transporting them to site and installing them using excavators.
Doing this provided multiple benefits including:
– Quality – highest quality standards achieved through ‘factory’ production quality control and testing.
– Environmental – minimising waste and removing ‘wet’ trades on site to prevent potential contamination of the reservoir.
– Safety – removing the requirement for our staff to work in or above water.
Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
- Pre-cast concrete manufacture
- Working in and around water
- Environmental protection
- Waste Management